With his usual humour, Richard Owen, CEO Satmetrix, opened as the first keynote speaker of the conference. With Excellence Driving Innovation as his theme, the "Tarantino" approach to his presentation was certainly different and was, in itself, a little piece of innovation.
Key themes of the presentation focused on:
- Innovation that is driven by different business philosophies, as exemplified by the Integrator vs. Networker model.
- The impact of experiential innovation - think about the splash made by the iPad - even though it really does nothing new
- "Bad profits are out to get you" - which was an eye-opening account of the demise of Blockbuster, due to the fact that they couldn't move past the application of late fees
- How Disruption as a strategy can truly deliver on what a customer actually wants - not what they have come to expect
- "Clouds Everywhere" - and a focus on the fact that the traditional sales funnel is a thing of the past - decisions are made at varying points on the journey - you can't work the sale in the same way as you did even a couple of years ago.
- Blue/Red Ocean strategies...
- Revolutions of One...
- Entrepreneurs are Mad...
It was a whistlestop tour through the myriad concepts for Innovation. It provided a huge amount of food for thought and nicely set the conference up for a successful first day. And my favourite example of Innovation from Richard's presentation? Pay @ Pump credit card slots - where you can put the card in either way!