Tony Hsieh - CEO Zappos.com
Building a Brand that Matters
How many people have bought from Zappos? That’s a good question. According to the Net Promoter® Conference audience, a lot.
And the reason is because Zappos is focused on providing the best customer service and creating the most loyal customers. It is a mantra that is the corner stone of its corporate culture.
Word of Mouth is Key
This is a business based on customer focus, creating repeat customers and driving Word of Mouth. They tried a large advertising campaign once but found they saw little rewards. Now the company takes the money that it would have been spent on advertising and puts it back into the customer experience.
Where a lot of companies are trying to lessen the amount of contact/calls from customers, Zappos wants to speak to the customers. They take about 5000 calls a day plus live chat, twitter, and emails. They want to create a complete word of mouth experience. One thing they’ve noticed is that when they do a random survey their Net Promoter Score (NPS) is 83, but when they do the survey via phone their score raises to NPS 90. So Zappos is going to keep speaking with its customers as much as possible with the goal to build long term customer relationships.
To this end, everyone in the company goes through the same training as customer service, plus 2 weeks on the phone and training on twitter. Zappos believes that if the company is going to focus on customer service then everyone needs to be focused on customer service. Culture fit is key to the organization and every employee needs to believe in the core values.
Four things to building long term brand:
- Vision- chase the vision not the money. Their vision be about the very best customer service.
- Repeat customers- choose and focus on great product and great service
- Transparency - Be real and you have nothing to fear
- Culture - Committable core values:
10. Be humble
9. Be passionate
8. Do more with less
7. Build a positive team and family spirit
6. Build open and honest relationship with commendations
5. Pursue growth and learning
4. Be adventurous, creative, and open minded
3. Create fun and a little weirdness
2. Embrace and drive change
1. Deliver WOM through service
Zappos is owning the 3C - Clothing, Customer Service, and Culture and Zappos is all about delivering happiness to the customers and its employees.